Thursday, August 29, 2013

French Macarons


Before this run, I never made macarons before. I know there was the huge crave for them like a few years ago, the new 'cupcake'. At my job in Australia, we made macarons. Me, being the peon, or rather seasonal girl I got to bang a lot of macarons though. I had to wear ear muffs, because it was so loud. You could literally hear it across the entire hotel kitchen. I would lift this heavy tray in the air and let it drop on a metal table. This gets rid of the little pesky air bubbles.

So anyway. I was pumped and nervous to make these. I decided to use the French Method to make them.


I made the merningue. I don't have a KitchenAid mixer, so I didn't use the time or speed suggested. I went by sight and what I should look for. The mernigue should be glossy and stiff. A good way to check for me since I have traditional beater, is to stick a wire whisk in there. You want it to stay pronged in the whisk.

Then you dump all the dry on top of the meringue. And Fold! This part is probably not my favorite just yet. I folded to the amount suggested. I probably could of done a few turns less. I tested it out on a plate to check the fluidity before piping them on a sheet of parchment.

So I have one good heavy sheet pan, and these two flimsy ''decent'' ones. The first batch on the awesome sheet tray baked well. I got feet. The flimsy ones came out cracked!


 I baked the last two batches on the aluminum tray in turns.


They came out perfect. I just wanted the cute little feet and happy I got them on my first try!

The downside is that they were hollow. You bite into one and you get air.

I made Chocolate Ganache to go with it. It's so good alone by itself. Letting it sit in the fridge for a day really helped with hollowness. Oh they were still hollow, just not as noticeable.

I think they still are so cute!!

French Macaron 
(recipe via Brave Tart *)

4 ounces (115g) almond flour
8 ounces (230g) powdered sugar
5 ounces (144g) egg whites
2.5 ounces (72g) sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp kosher salt

 * Click on link to view Method of Preparation.

Chocolate Ganache
(recipe via Chow)

4 oz bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons butter, cubed (room temperature)

Place chocolate in a bowl.
Heat heavy cream in a pot over medium heat until it begins to come to a boil.
Pour hot heavy cream over chocolate. Let sit for one minute. Add the butter and stir until smooth. Chill until thickened yet spreadable, about 30 minutes.

3 comments:

  1. these look seriously good, i now have a craving for them myself! :-)

    http://kimiandme.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look so good! I've never had them, but your photos make me want to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete